Your opinion on a new Classifieds section?

Check this forum out for important news and SFWA announcements

Moderator: Barry

Your opinion on a new Classifieds section?

Postby Barry » Thu May 04, 2006 2:50 pm

I'm coding a Classifieds program for this website, and I'd like to get some feedback on what everyone thinks is a fair pricing policy.

The membership dues that we receive aren't enough to cover all of the Club's expenses. So I thought that if I built a really nice Classifieds Ads section, people might be willing to throw in a few bucks for placing an ad.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay up to $5.00 to place an ad and sell an item to a local sailor -- saving me the shipping hassles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barry

P.S. A screenshot, if it helps...

Image[/img]
Barry
Site Admin

Re: Your opinion on a new Classifieds section?

Postby Barry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:37 pm

373 views and not one opinion? Hmmm...
Barry
Site Admin

Postby Steve P » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:24 am

I think a small listing fee is appropriate for large items which have a dollar value over a certain amount, I just am not sure what that amount is.

The advantages the auction sites have is that the fee is deducted from the sale and is not an upfront fee(Although there is always a small listing fee) and that the market exposure nearly guarantees a sale.

The primary disadvantage is the one you have mentioned here, the shipping hassle. Only small items can be shipped economically, so perhaps boards and other large items (or maybe "lots" of merchandise) could be subject to a listing fee. If you could figure out a way in which a listing fee was only charged in the event of a sale, the fee could apply to any item sold. This reduces the out of pocket risk for the seller in the event of a "no sale".

Another way in which revenue might be generated for the club could be a "virtual thrift shop", utilizing a section of the new classifieds to advertise donated items for sale. I'm sure club members have plenty of marketable items for donation that would be easier to part with than hard earned cash.

Sail fast,

Steve P
Steve P

Postby bcouden » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:19 pm

Sounds like a great idea; if the site is easy to use and a success in moving products for buyers and sellers locally, $5 bucks, or whatever the charge is will be justified. Besides, listing fees seem to be a standard on most sites nowadays.
bcouden

Return to Important Announcements